Sunday 23 January 2011

Sunday night... Ad-Hoc thoughts

I wasn't planning to make an entry tonight, but more thoughts are following from today. I attended church today as I have done for the past 18 months. Today was a little bit different. Statements said by people have changed some of my perceptions about things. A comment made on Thursday about one of the books of the bible was made. It was about statements in the bible being backed up by more information, I think it was the rules in Deuteronomy which look like a set of rules, but apparently each of them have a relevant reason behind them. I always figured that you'd have to make sense of all the bible and Jesus and God etc if you wanted to be a Christian, but you don't (probably not making sense myself... I know what i mean, I think!). If you read things in the bible there is other evidence behind it which may make it accurate.

This left me feeling a little different in the church today but I can't really explain how other than it was peculiar, during the worship, singing part of the service, I was compelled to sing one of the songs more than just mumble it. I know I have an appalling singing voice and try and make sure I am not heard but today I know I was heard by at least one other person. The song was "This is our God", when it was in the part that starts "Freely you gave it all for us, Surrendered your life upon that cross." Not sure what that means if it means anything but it is a little unusual.

During the message we were being told about the Romans in about 50 AD... not 1950... :) but it made me think, we all know the Romans were around and Julius Ceasar existed. But that made me think hang on, I can read an encyclopaedia and look it up and lo and behold you can find out about him, so why is the evidence less likely to be true about Jesus and God. If I can find enough evidence about Jesus and God to convince me then it will all make sense or as much as I need it to will. Lots of food for me to think on during the rest of the week and I am only on Sunday night... Crikey, what else is going to happen during the rest of the week. Better go to bed before I really lose the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment