Friday 28 January 2011

More thoughts on Who is Jesus

So a day after the most confusing night ever, I am back with the bible trying to make sense of the who thing. I received an email from a friend today putting some answers to some of the questions I had posed. I had decided not to look at it today because it had hurt my head too much, but I couldn't resist and I am now sat with a bible open in front of me attempting to make more sense of it.

The overall burning question doesn't go away which is why can't I go "Yep I get it and it all works.." I guess time will do that. I have people telling me it can take years to get there.. Wow, how do they believe when they are going "no it does not make sense." or do they never go, "it doesn't make sense."

Anyway all the questions I seem to ask someone seems to have an answer. Bits that I have looked at tonight seem to be able to back the prophecies and the bible links back on itself. Just thinking, maybe I should stop thinking of the bible as it is. By that I mean 1 big book, because it isn't. I'm just sat in front of it at the moment and have just looked at Daniel 6 - The lions den. I just suddenly thought I am reading the bible as a book. Books are written by one person and it looks like each of the sections are "chapters" Each of the books of the bible were written by different people. There are 40 authors of the bible in the 66 books. In spite of there being 40 different authors the bible more or less hangs together as a book, with no more error or interpretation surely than any other collection of works would. In fact the contradictions are quite small I think, not that I know very much. This could be really important to me because I have this "Book" in front of me which isn't a book (if you are following me!)

So if I take that approach the prophecies were nothing to do with Jesus or anyone else who wrote the book as they MUST have been written by someone else hundreds of years earlier which then leaves me to grapple with the supernatural (water into wine, feeding of 5000 and the small matter of the resurrection!) Now if I am left with the supernatural rather than all of it maybe that makes my life easier. Well it can't make it harder than last night..

2 comments:

  1. I was interested to read some of your blog particularly because I did an Alpha course two years ago and wrote a blog about it, which I still keep up now and again, even though it has gone beyond the Alpha course itself. I shall follow your alpha pilgrimage from now on.

    God bless.

    Pete F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,

    Thanks for the comment. It is really appreciated. I am amazed that people are interested in the journey and I feel very encouraged by your feedback and am very grateful for any thoughts and insights you have. Thank you very much for taking the time to read it.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete